Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 6 April 2012

Info Post
I LOVE fried eggs. Yum yum yum! I'm an over easy kind of girl...gotta have the yolk runny, but cooked on both sides. So when I saw this pin on Pinterest, I put it in on my "Delighting the Taste Buds" board fast. It looks so pretty and is a fun way to dress up breakfast (or lunch...or dinner...or whenever you make fried eggs).
The Original Pin
http://www.apronstringsblog.com/uncategorized/flower-power-eggs-recipe-sunny-side-up-eggs/
I was a little curious exactly how it was going to work though...I could see it being kinda a mess. I wasn't sure how I was going to keep the egg from spilling out the bottom of the bell pepper slice, which is just what happened, and I was worried that if I used too large of an egg or too small of a bell pepper that the egg would run over. So I tried to pick my pepper and my eggs carefully.

The Pinstrosity

I very carefully cracked the first egg into the pepper and immediately it started oozing out the side. That's the top egg in the picture. So the second egg (the bottom one) I tried the good ol' crack with one hand while I pushed the bell pepper down onto the pan with the other hand. It was a little tricky since I'm not very good at cracking eggs one handed. But I got the egg in the pepper and was able to keep it from oozing out the bottom as much as the first egg...but I still got a slight ooze. After that they cooked up beautifully and flipped really easily. So we didn't have an egg overflow, it was more of an "underflow"

added 7-19-2012: We had a question of how to flip the eggs emailed to us. You'll have to wait to flip the egg until it is cooked through quite a bit or you'll get egg splatter all over and have leakage on both sides. Either that, or just go sunny side up. I'm not a sunny side up fan (too slimy) so I let my eggs cook a long time so that they were as cooked through as they could be since I wasn't going to try flipping them.

The taste was a little odd with the two combined, and I'm not sure I liked the crunchy texture of the bell pepper mixed with the soft texture of the egg, but it wasn't bad and it did make them look fancy and dressed up the top of my flat fried burrito (basically a quesadilla with beans in it).

                                                                                                      

0 comments:

Post a Comment