Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 12 April 2012

Info Post


Well, I finally finished the Drexel buffet.  I have never had so much trouble finishing a piece of furniture!  Here’s the after.

drexelbuffet1

Now here is the before.

drexelbuf

This is a 1963 Drexel buffet I picked up at an estate sale.  It has the Drexel stamp in the top drawer along with the original pamphlet that came with it.

I started out by removing the doors and hardware and sanding the top.  I then painted the bottom of the buffet with Annie Sloan “Old White”.  The hardware was spray painted with a satin black.

drexelbuf1

The top I sanded down and refinished with Dark Walnut stain and then applied four coats of satin polyurethane.

This is where I had problems.  I had completed the buffet and covered it with a plastic drop cloth over night as a storm was coming through and I had it sitting out on my carport.  During the night a half full can of polyurethane was blown over onto the top, and by the time I found it the next morning it was a half inch thick all across one end of the buffet and hard, very hard.  I had to strip it down again! What a mess! Anyway here is the finished top.

drexelbuffet3

drexelbuffet2


A close up of the doors.  After waxing with Annie Sloan Soft Wax I slightly distressed the entire buffet focusing on the areas mostly likely to be worn.

drexelbuffet1


Hope you enjoyed this before and after.  Have a great week end!

signature

Sharing with the following parties:

0 comments:

Post a Comment