Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 12 April 2012

Info Post
After a brief but relatively unpleasant battle with the common cold, it seems that the resurgence of my health has aided in the satisfying return of fashionable inspiration. Mostly it seems that the searing sinus headaches I've been experiencing have aroused a total comprehension that it is indeed springtime, although the unpredictable weather seems to have other ideas.
Obviously I've been discussing spring for some time now, whether in a more central format or perhaps brief implications, but after spending three lonely days cooped up inside and then walking home with the fresh air caressing my forehead it seems much more like a negotiable reality. Along these lines, despite the fact that it is already practically mid-April, today I've spent some time dwelling on the idea of the new spring staples. In our modern era where the entire fashion industry is being redefined by the Internet, we are exposed to much more. Consequently many of our practical ideals have changed, and the fashion crowd are obsessed with reinvention or rather the idea that everything needs an update. For every trend there is a countertrend (i.e. opposites are "in" at the same time, it just depends on the source), so of course we also have those that are looking back to the classics, attempting to inject that timelessness into a fashion world that appears to be all about right now. For the most part, I've seen an absolutely rewritten guide to the woman's closet staples that seems to be abandoning the longtime fashion canon: little black dress, black blazer, white button-down, blue jeans, pearls, black leather handbag, black pumps. I assume that you can easily recognize what these items have in common.
I'm not criticizing this common list of wardrobe staples, because I know that the majority of fashion savvy women do adhere to them, and the versatility and practicality of such items is undeniable. But I believe that there is so much more to the foundation of a wardrobe than these choices.

Let's imagine that our wardrobe has three levels:

  • The Foundation. Here is where we put our classics, those pieces that are relatively boring and not so much fun to shop for yet the possession of such things comes in handy. (See list in above paragraph.)
  • The Skeleton. This is the second level, comprising of versatile pieces (though not necessarily blatantly so) that are capable of portraying more personality. This is where color and print come into play, though silhouettes stay relatively simple. For most people, I would say that this level is the bulk of one's collection.
  • The Body. The third level contains the unique items that are probably some of the most treasured. Think clothing and accessories more focused on design rather than functionality. These pieces are more fun than practical.
I'm sure I could write a wonderful book about this subject, but I'll spare you from overexerting your eyes reading bountiful text. I've been into analytical fashion writing recently, if you haven't noticed.

In my next few posts, I'm hoping to focus on "The Skeleton" rather than "The Foundation," because it relates to the theme of Girl Loves Color and it's more fun to talk about. If you're dying for some foundational advice, my e-mail inbox is always open (see link on top left).

One of the key aspects of "The Skeleton" is print. Prints add depth and personality to any outfit and though you may believe yourself unable to pull them off or perhaps they aren't your thing, I hope to convince you otherwise. I believe that prints are essential to a well-rounded wardrobe. They don't have to be ridiculously bold - save that for the third level of your wardrobe. We're thinking about versatility here, and prints can always be versatile.

Floral Scarf

I can't say anything bad about floral prints. I'm a huge fan of florals, and when I say that I do actually intend to say that I'm literally so obsessed that I could have a wardrobe containing only floral printed pieces. Maybe this makes me a bit biased, but I honestly am quite serious when I say florals are a must in anyone's wardrobe.
I suggest starting small with a floral scarf. They're practically timeless and look good with almost anything.


H by Henry Holland scarve

H by Henry Holland scarf ($24)


Etro scarveKenzo scarveKate Spade scarveFranco Ferrari scarve

Clockwise (from top left): Etro, Kenzo, Franco Ferrari, Kate Spade.


Printed T-Shirt

On one of those days when you just want to throw on a comfortable cotton tee and your favorite pair of jeans, you'll be so thankful you bought a printed t-shirt. It's the best way to epitomize casual chic.

Carven t shirt

Carven t-shirt ($198)


Thakoon Addition t shirtTop


Stella McCartney t shirtPeter Pilotto tunic

Clockwise (from top left): Thakoon Addition, Marni, Peter Pilotto, Stella McCartney

All images from polyvore.com

I could go on for ages about a subject matter like this, but I'm in a time crunch and I do believe I've provided you with quite a bit of material for today. I'm hoping to get back into a regular blogging schedule soon, which will mean briefer posts but way more often. Sounds good to me!

Let me know what you think of this post/topic. I'd love to hear your opinion.

xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment