Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 8 December 2011

Info Post
Firstly, my apologies for the lack of posting this week. I've had exams in all my classes, which has made me overwhelmingly busy. However, I'm pleased to say that yesterday I was able to check out the Holiday Pop-Up Vintage Sale at Chelsea Market in NYC's Meatpacking District during a break from my studies.
Vintage is a curious topic. Often I find that vintage stores are hit-or-miss for me; while sometimes I go to a regular spot and find an amazing deal, other times I find that the collection of wares is entirely uninteresting to me. This is an ongoing problem that can be discouraging for many shoppers like me who enjoy vintage but don't always have the patience for it. I'm generally the kind of person who wants to go to a vintage store, find one or two cool things, go to another vintage store, find another thing. This rarely occurs. I would say that 9 times out of 10 I am unsuccessful in my hunt for vintage garments or accessories that catch my eye. Sure enough I have acquired a decent amount of vintage products over the past year or two, in which my interest in fashion has blossomed, but the ratio of vintage to new is quite unbalanced. Why is it that vintage is such a tricky thing? It's because times change. Trends always come back in style, but there are some fashions that are stuck in their respective time periods. Take for example the psychedelic colors and neon hues popularized in the 60s-80s. I'm obviously a huge fan of color, but some of the wild patterns and color combinations found in these eras are pretty unwearable in this day and age. Nonetheless, I always maintain a motivation to look for vintage items to add to my closet. The reason why vintage is so appealing to fashionistas is because these things are one-of-a-kind; it is rare to find a brand-new design that could come close to those that are vintage. And anyone who is skilled at putting outfits together knows that contrast is key: that between old and new never fails to create a timelessly chic ensemble. For these reasons I was excited to visit the Pop-Up Vintage Sale.

Below are some photographs I took of some colorful finds at the sale. Vintage is known for being very colorful, whereas color's presence in today's fashion world generally depends on the season.

Tangerine Boutique

Tangerine Boutique

Amarcord Vintage

Right to the Moon Alice

Lofty Vintage

1 of a Find

A Little Wicked

Denyse's Closet

Denyse's Closet
(Doesn't this look like SOBRAL?)


If you are seeking colorful garments and jewelry, vintage stores are definitely good destinations. Just make sure you carefully examine everything you pick out and try to imagine incorporating the pieces into your wardrobe. Some things can be quite tricky to wear, and others are just plain tacky. Maintain a level of taste!

The Chelsea Market Holiday Pop-Up Vintage Sale is open until Saturday. Catch it while you can!

What are your best vintage finds? Let me know with a comment!

xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment