Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 19 December 2011

Info Post
I was on the search for a winter coat for a long time. This is a struggle for petites like me, who often face the issues of coat sizing. Many of the coats I have tried on in my journey are way too long: they hit at right above the knee, which wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that it diminishes my height further by cutting off my legs. Nor do I want a coat that is so cropped it can barely keep my warm; this obviously defeats the purpose (though this form of outerwear is quite stylish and flattering on me). I also need a coat that is fitted without being too small to accommodate layers of knitwear. As you can see, I have many guidelines. I'm quite picky when it comes to outerwear (unless, of course, said outerwear is a fantastic leather jacket). I'm proud to say that I finally found the perfect specimen: a toggle coat that hits me a little above mid-thigh. The coat is lined with a beautiful blue-green plaid and consists of good quality materials. Only one problem: the coat is black.
Black? But, Maya, you love color! That's why you named your blog "Girl Loves Color." You're such a hypocrite!
Well, I usually get quite annoyed when I have to don my winter coat for an adventure outside, as often said coat is a puffy marshmallow of down. This coat is different; I enjoy wearing it. Yet I still felt incomplete when I put on my jeans and black combat boots, covering any trace of color with my black coat. I would go outside and not quite feel like myself.

The dilemma was resolved when I visited the fantastic consignment store Tokio 7 in the East Village on Sunday. The store sells high-end brands such as Marc Jacobs, Prada, Gucci, Chanel, and Louis Vuitton. Though some fakes have been spotted at the store (be careful if you go!), the selection is overall quite fabulous. The shop has a fantastic selection of Louboutin shoes, tons of cashmere sweaters, and a variety of unique yet wearable designer dresses. Most appropriate for this weather, however, is the huge amount of outerwear available (both mens' and womens'). I was casually browsing this section when I stumbled upon a hidden gem: a bright purple DVF coat exactly my size. The price was probably 40-60% off of what it must have been originally. And the coat was brand new - the tags were still on and the pockets still sewn closed. I couldn't believe it when I tried it on and the coat fit me perfectly. I knew I had to get it.
Today was my first day taking my colorful new coat out for a spin. I was happy in a way that no piece of outerwear had ever made me feel before. I felt like Girl Loves Color again.

Diane von Furstenberg coat, Un Deux Trois top (worn underneath), American Apparel black leggings, Free People socks, combat boots from TJ Maxx, Coton Deux scarf, vintage bag.



The coat also comes with a matching purple belt, gold clips on the ends, but I chose not to wear it today. I think the coat looks pretty great on its own. 

What do you think of my new find? Tell me about your winter coat(s)! I'd love to read your comments.

xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment