Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 13 March 2011

Info Post
At last, here is the third and final part, as promised!



This is the entrance to Sydney's most famous amusement park, Luna Park. This photograph, like the boat photo in Part 1, was taken on a ferry ride. Unfortunately that poorly-placed pole is somewhat in the way of the view, but, nonetheless, I thought this was a really fun photo, and it has a nice combination of colors.


DKNY blazer, James Perse tank top, Sandro pants, Daisy Knights gold stud earrings, H&M Divided ballet flats, Marc Jacobs quilted bag.

As soon as I saw this pair of pants, I immediately knew that I had to incorporate them into my outfit for this photograph. The pants' kaleidoscopic pattern exudes a fun, sophisticated carnival vibe: a perfect high-fashion match to the entrance of an amusement park! The challenge this outfit posed, however, was to follow the color scheme without creating a tacky, clown-like look. The flats are more subdued, avoiding that "clown shoes" look by mixing tones of pink and red to create a softer color than bright maraschino cherry red. The basic tank top adds color quietly, so it doesn't compete with the loudness of the pants. The blazer and bag both work to add more neutral color without being boring or clashing with the bright colors. There is a lot going on in this outfit, so I chose not to include any jewelry, which would just be a distraction. Instead, I added a small pair of gold studs with a fun texture to add some more whimsy; they will add an unexpected but inconspicuous pop when peeking out from behind a curtain of hair. 
An extra plus: if you take this outfit to the fun park, the soft pair of flats will help you survive a day's worth of rides!


This adorable image was painted outside a fun, high-end ice cream shop in Melbourne. I love the three contrasting jewel tones in the picture. They are completely different but manage to work well together. (This idea dominated the spring 2011 runways, which was filled with eye-popping combinations of bright colors.)

Easton Pearson dress, Jil Sander bag, Marni sandals, Paige Novick brass bangles, Marmèn gold-plated irregular heptagon bangles.

The idea I was aiming for with this outfit was a summery, casual-chic vacation outfit. The dress is very elegant and has the ability to go from day to night, so I dressed it down with this emerald green "market" bag and chunky sandals. Although the colors are all quite different, they go well together because each piece, being solid-colored, is not distracting in itself. Together, they make the outfit a real attention-grabber. I selected these bracelets because their shapes are interesting, but their neutral metallic tones give the eye a break from so much color.
One of my favorite parts about this outfit is how the sandals and dress subtly match because they both quietly incorporate thin white stripes. I'm also obsessed with this green bag; no one would ever expect such a bold color in an everyday shopping bag silhouette. (And the rest of Jil Sander's spring collection was equally ingenious.)

Photographs taken by me
Outfit collages made using polyvore.com

This marks the end of "A Picture is Worth a Thousand...Colors," but don't be surprised if this same concept returns to Girl Loves Color in the near future! I loved looking back at my Australia photographs to select images for the blog and styling these outfits was a nice change from what I've been doing. I hope reading this series was as much fun as it was to make.

xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment