Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 10 March 2011

Info Post
Today I thought I'd try something new for this blog post. I was looking through some of the photographs I took on my trip to Florida and Australia over winter break for my photography class, and I noticed that a lot of the photos have very vibrant and beautiful color combinations. This was partly due to the fact that it was summery in both locations, but I found that in Australia especially the surroundings are very serene and laid-back, unlike the gloomy and busy cities in the United States.
I was inspired by this thought, and I had the idea that it would be fun to take cues from these photographs and style outfits based on some of the colors present in each image. After all, spring fashion is all about color blocking and bright colors right now!


I took this shot on a ferry boat in Sydney; I thought that the boat looked stunning against the water.

Thakoon Addition dress, Mulberry clutch, Givenchy sandals, Marni necklace, Marc by Marc Jacobs bangles.

I selected this dress because the flowy draping reminded me of the texture of the water in the photograph, and I really love this rich shade of blue in such a graceful, elegant silhouette. The red clutch is inspired by the dots of red in the photograph, and I thought it would add more structure to the outfit, contrasting the looseness of the dress. The brown wood sandals are obviously inspired by the wood build of the boat. The thick straps are sturdy and edgy, really adding a sense of ground (this could serve as a metaphor for the photo, even, with the dress as the ocean and the sandals as the solid boat to stand on...how clever!). The wood bangles I thought were just beautiful and they go well with the outfit, so I added them in. I made this set with two, but they are quite big, so just one would be fine. I added the necklace for a touch of nautical whimsicality and a dash of unexpected color.
I think this outfit would go well for an outdoor brunch or a fancy summer barbecue.


Australia has many exotic birds, but the most wonderful part is that they're everywhere! We were over at some friends' house and this beautiful lorikeet came to hang out on the patio behind their house. Apparently this is quite common, and they even have bird seed in the house to feed their feathered friends when they visit!

Yves Saint Laurent dress, Nancy Gonzalez clutch, Charlotte Olympia heels, Kenneth Jay Lane gold coin bracelet, Isabel Marant charm bracelets.

For this outfit I styled a freer outfit, inspired by the colors in the photograph rather than modeled directly after them. The green dress is inspired by the greenery of the photograph, the bluish-purple oversized clutch inspired by the exotic color on the lorikeet's head, and the red shoes loosely inspired by the blends of bright oranges and yellows. With the jewelry I tried to capture the exotic feel of the bird, combining different types of jewelry so they make a fun, jumbled mix of details on the wrist, yet they still go well together. I love the color combination in the outfit because it stands out, like the lorikeet, but everything still goes nicely together. And should I mention how in love I am with those Isabel Marant bracelets? Très chic!

All photographs were taken by me
Outfit collages made using polyvore.com

I've had a lot of fun doing this, so I hope you've enjoyed this little idea of mine that I came up with! I originally planned to do more than just two photographs, but I actually ran out of time because it took me so long to figure out how to go about doing everything. Thus the lovely "Part 1" in the title of this blog post. Tomorrow (hopefully!) I'll post the second part to this post, and maybe some other time I'll use this idea again! It was a lot of fun.

Until next time,
xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment