Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 13 August 2012

Info Post
Em here, so ombre` is super in this year, whether it's hair, nails, or the color of your walls, everyone is super in to this trend right now. I have to admit, I saw this pin on pinterest when I was pin-surfing the other day, and thought it looked clever. I for one HATE, and let me repeat myself, HATE painting houses. In our last house we painted one room and decided white all over the rest of the house wasn't so bad after all. Stephanie sent us her attempt at an ombre` accent wall, here is her tale:


The Original



Freaking fab right?! I love it, wayyyyy too much work than I would personally do on a wall, but if someone would do it in exchange for cookies I would be ALL over that shiz.
Here is Stephanie's version...

The Pinstrosity

So no, it isn't as pictured above, but I think it has character. In the end she painted over the whole thing with the darkest shade and now has one awesome accent colored wall. Here is how it all went down:
1. Stephanie bought Wal-Mart paint, now nothing against Wal-Mart I am a frequent Wally World shopper myself, but some things are better bought with quality in mind. The original blogger used Valspar (which may very well be a plug, however it worked great for her, so maybe there is something to it eh?)
2. Stephanie purchased Latex paint, for this project that isn't great, as Steph (can I call you Steph? I'll call you Steph...) said in her email, this dries to fast to make the whole ombre affect work out well.
3.Steph purchased four colors thinking this would eliminate having to mix, but really didn't save her any time, and really just increased the amount of brushes, paint cans, paint containers she had around the room.
4. She painted the primer, no problems there, she then painted the lightest hue over the whole wall, no problems there. Then the darkest hue at the bottom in a panel, again no problems.
 *Pay attention here is where things went wrong*
5.She then proceeded to paint the next color up RIGHT above the darkest hue, so that there borders are touching. (We will get to why this went wrong)
6.She started running out of brushes, wet and dry. The original blog says to use a DRY brush to blend the colors. She tried to salvage the project but started running out of paint, and because it was latex it was drying too fast to blend adequately.
How To Fix This

-First off, you need to purchase oil based paint, Steph suggested this and I completely agree with her, it dries much slower, and will in turn be much easier to blend.
-Buy quality paint, I think you will find it is easier to work with, and you will generally have more option for colors.
-When deciding on your colors really try to choose colors from the same swatch, but make sure that they aren't too big of a hue jump from color to color. Steph said she ran into this problem with the darkest being too dark to blend with the color above it.
-Choose three colors, your light, medium and dark. Don't try to short cut by adding more colors it doesn't seem to bode well. The tutorial on this isn't very specific and leaves a lot for assuming, so I did a little diagram of what to mix and what panels go where below.
Here is how the panels go (Starting with the panel closest to the ceiling):
Light
Medium+Light=Medium #2
Medium
Dark+Medium=Dark #2
Darkest

-Leave a small section between each panel for blending. If you don't you are using too much of each panels actual color and it seems to defeat the purpose of painting all those panels. Are you still with me, I know this is a bit lengthy...sorry.

-Steph has suggested also that you have extra brushes and paint containers on hand, and I would have to agree again. It is better to have too many than to be a chicken with your head cut off running around trying to clean brushes and containers all over the place.

-Lastly have lots of time on hand, this project is time consuming. I would also suggest reading the original tutorial just for a basis seeing as I didn't include the full one here. You can find it by going to the link below the original picture.

If any of you have done this and had utter and complete success please let us know! We love your feedback! Happy painting, and seriously if anyone wants cookies for painting my house I would love me some ombre` wall action ;)

                                       -Emilee

0 comments:

Post a Comment