Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 11 August 2012

Info Post
Em here, yesterday's post just didn't happen. I know. I'm sorry. One of those days that literally just slips through your fingers. Again, my apologies. While our dearest Marquette is celebrating her 6 year wedding anniversary (woohoo!) I am in charge here, and you are in luck, we have some fun posts for the next week, starting with this doozy from Whitney...


The Original



Fun right?! I love it, and the website Birthdays Direct (the link is above) gives you three different dino cake variations, and instructions and supplies for each, handy right?

Well here is Whitney's version...

The Pinstrosity

Overall, (and you all have seen my cake decorating skills...I'm so sorry, please forgive me) I think it didn't turn out too horrific. But alas, Whitney thinks otherwise, she titled her email "Major Fail". Here are a few things to make this Dino, maybe a little...friendlier...

1. Use the supplies suggested, including the specific cake tips, (they say to use specific numbers, but then there is no where on the site to buy, or even see what tips they are talking about, so I would go with the below guide, and eyeball it) 
**A super awesome cake tip guide I found to help out :) http://twistnswirl.blogspot.ca/2011/09/decorating-bag-tips-by-wilton.html
Seriously though, this lady is a genius!**
2.The colors are good, the only suggestion I have with this is that maybe Whitney should have used a color that would contrast better with the green for her outline color, such as black for example.

3. In the original picture, the teeth, and eyes look to perhaps be fondant. I for one think that if you have the fondant on hand, it might just be easier to cut them out and place them on with icing than trying to do all the teeth same size with icing from a bag.

4.  And this is important!! Don't be too hard on yourself, the example cake was obviously done by a professional (see the white edging?) This cake artist has hours upon hours of practice, and every tool imaginable at their fingertips. I have had a few people (not just any people, cake people) tell me cake decorating is about trial and error, and TONS of practice.

So make some cakes, practice a lot, and whats the worst that could happen, your cake gets eaten? Let us know YOUR cake tips, I know we have some foodies out there, let yourselves be known! We love your  input! Happy Saturday everyone!

                                             -Emilee


0 comments:

Post a Comment