Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 3 September 2012

Info Post
It seems that the Comme des Garcons Autumn/Winter 2012 collection has been crossing my mind as of late.

With September comes new beginnings. For those of us who return to school, it's a new year and a fresh start to not only our studies but our projected persona. Who will I be this year? Youth is an era of change, often rapid and severe.

Rei Kawakubo's designs for Comme were provoked by "the future in two dimensions." Yet while the runway looks were flat, they were simultaneously sculptural and bursting with personality, avant-garde in every sense. Naturally the collection caused a lot of buzz, some of which still survives due to the clothes' appearances in recent fashion editorials, from Vogue to Paper Magazine.
It was the combination of substance and exterior that perpetuated such a response. Many critics sought to find a deeper critique within the seams; others dismissed the show as rather strange and went on with their lives.

To me, this is about the future.
Today we experience a world exploding with overstimulation. It seems that nothing is original anymore, that everything already has a predecessor. There is too much of the same.
Borrowing inspiration from Comme, I hope to fill the coming months with fearlessness: of the new and of the bold. Society is falling flat.

We must start to push the boundaries and to puncture consistence with a new perspective and a new confidence. What better time than September?




I asked myself, who would wear these clothes? I couldn't discover an answer.

I find it to be less about the tangible and the actual Comme products. What I have taken away is the encouragement to wear a new personality: an update on the old, more daring and spirited, looking forward instead of gazing back.

It's philosophical, but that's just what I see.

Images from Style.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment